A few quick notes on gravadlax.
- 1kg fish will yield 650g finished product as moisture is sucked out by the cure
- 1kg fish will need 200g cure: 100g salt plus 100g sugar – I used sea salt and caster sugar – Him What Knows uses a spot of muscovado
- on one occasion, the shelf in the fridge where I placed it was too cold and the necessary reactions did not occur – use a fridge thermometer to ensure it’s around 5°C
- I chop the dill very finely and layer it on the fish first, so it sticks
- I put about a quarter of the cure on the outside of the fish, and the rest between
- on the morning of serving, I give the fish a very light rinse, to remove any solid salt crystals, slice it, and place in a fresh dish, with about a third of the liquid, which is drained before serving
- I don’t think it needs to be served with anything other than some interesting bread, black pepper and lemon wedges