I happened to be making pasta sauce, so had a full frypan of sofritto and pancetta on the go, and a few large chestnut mushrooms that needed using. So, each mushroom was stuffed with a generous spoon of the mix, baked, topped with grana, and then baked a few minutes longer. Two birds with one stone.
A few points:
- some recipes have you pre-cook the mushrooms: don’t bother
- do remember to chop and add the stalks to the stuffing
- lightly butter the dish, as they can stick
- choose a dish where they’ll be packed almost too tightly, so they don’t keel over (they’ll shrink during cooking)
- put a small knob of butter, and then the filling, in each mushroom
- 20 mins at 180°C
- add cheese
- and then another 5 mins
If I were cooking them especially, I’d just fry up a load of onion, bacon and thyme leaves, and top with Fontina or Taleggio.
Possibly best, however, is when you stuff them with leftover risotto.