Chocolate. Alcohol. Fat. Sugar. Caffeine. The five essential food groups in a single dish.
- 300mL strong coffee (fire up the espresso machine or the mocha pot)
- 250mL marsala
- 250g (1 packet) of Savoiardi biscuits
- 150mL double cream (the more luxuriant the better)
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon cornflour
- 250g mascarpone (this is about a standard container)
- chocolate, strawberries, etc for putting on top
Here’s what you do.
- In a bowl, mix coffee and two thirds of the marsala, allow to cool
- In another bowl, the cream, the icing sugar, the cornflour, and the remainder of the marsala (Add marsala gradually, otherwise the whole thing separates and refuses to co-operate.)
- Dip each of the biscuits in the coffee/marsala mixture (not enough to make them disintegrate) and tightly pack them in a layer at the bottom of a square dish. An 8″ × 8″ × 2.5″ deep dish will accommodate two layers from a standard packet (buy an extra packet in case you need more; the remains can be kept for next time as Savoiardi seem impervious to the passage of time)
- Cover with half the cream/marsala mix
- Cover with grated chocolate – I normally get a couple of Cadbury Flake bars and bash them into submission whilst still in their wrappers
- Refrigerate at least overnight before serving
Make the cream/marsala mix, throw a couple of punnets of chopped strawberries and serve in large wine glasses.